Everyday Semiotics

Friday, September 21, 2007

Auditory reading

I'm a recent convert to the wonderful world of books on tape, er, CD. Picking out music CDs for every longish trip has always been a chore, and often once I'm on the road I wish I'd made entirely different selections, or I simply won't be in the mood for music.

So I finally got a library card at Forbes (I'd only been here a year -- what was the rush?) and started replacing music with books in my travels. My first selections, which suited perfectly my journey to Schroon Lake and back, were Steinbeck's The Pearl and Twain's "The Man Who Corrupted Hadleyburg" (which isn't very good, by the way), neither of which I'd read before. On subsequent trips I returned to familiar texts: Douglas Adams's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Joyce's Dubliners, both of which were absolute delights to hear read aloud. I attempted Beowulf, but just couldn't do it. There's one I think I'd rather read than hear.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home